Wood Products: Application and Performance
Learn about wood material properties and applications of wood products. No pre-requisites. Open for students in all fields!
Form of learning:
Aalto University Open University
5 By Aalto University (ECTS)
Target group and prerequisites
No pre-requisites. Open for students in all fields!
After the course the student
- knows the key commercial wood products and is familiar with their structure, properties, general performance characteristics and main applications
- is able to describe the situations in which particular materials or products should be used
- is familiar with the main regulations and standards covering the use of wood and wood products and knows the key product testing standards
- knows the carbon storage potential of wood products and is familiar with the principles of life cycle assessment applied to wood products and wood construction
- knows about the main physical and biological degradation mechanisms affecting the performance of wood
- is familiar with how the durability and other performance characteristics of wood can be enhanced by applying appropriate design principles, preservation treatment, modifying wood and coating