Scale-Up Leadership is a master's level course by Aalto University Summer School and Aalto Ventures Program that will equip you with the tools you need for leading your people and their organizational culture during fast-paced growth.
Form of learning:
Target group and prerequisites
The summer 2022 Scale-Up Leadership will be offered as an on-campus course. The application period opens on 1.2.2022.
Scale-Up Leadership is an interactive and fast-paced graduate-level course focusing on leadership in the growth stage of an organisation. The course includes two intensive weeks on campus as well as pre-and post-assignments.
There are a lot of different challenges in the scaling-up phase of the new venture. Starting from how to simultaneously secure the cash flow and develop the product to hiring and retaining new employees, there are a lot of growth opportunities but also growth pains to consider while taking your business to the next level.
However, while these challenges can be solved through implementing business plans and other well-known management tools, the soft side of leadership and leading the growth of one’s team are often left adrift.
In this course we will consequently focus on addressing the domain of interaction and communication during the scale-up phase of a venture or enterprise: managing the growing team and leading the culture of the organization.
After the course students will be able to:
- Identify typical leadership problems and formulate remedies to those challenges in scaling up businesses and ventures
- Preemptively tackle problems that are associated with different stages of entrepreneurship and venture formation
- Avoid typical pitfalls and identify leverage points in culture development and teambuilding
- Communicate ideas with reasonable argumentations and sell your ideas
- Think critically from a sustainable perspective
- Interpret data and question conventions critically
- Spot epistemic boundaries (also your boundaries) and know how to break through them
- Learn the mindset and tools to improve your professional and personal life through self-assessment and self-development
- Think creatively – breaking out of the box
- See the big picture and make connections by systemic thinking