Fusion Energy Technology D
This course gives an introduction to plasma physics and fusion, and its concepts toward development of fusion power plants. We will be discussing the scientific requirements of fusion, its challenges in achieving burning fusion plasmas, and its technological constraints.
January 2022 - April 2022
Form of learning:
Aalto University Open University
5 By Aalto University (ECTS)
- discuss the pros and cons of the different confinement options
- derive the Lawson criterion for both magnetically and inertially confined fusion plasmas, and develop simple numerical tools to calculate the Lawson diagram
- describe the basis of tokamaks and stellarators, their magnetic field configurations and give a status on the present research facilities
- discuss different heating options of fusion plasmas, and make a judgment on their efficiency in different plasma scenarios
- list issues of plasma-wall interaction in fusion devices
- describe the tritium cycle in fusion devices.