Basic principles in networking
This course provides a theoretical and practical basis for computer networking. Besides basic networking principles, the course provides case studies of network protocols at each layer of the OSI model.
Information and communications technology
Form of learning:
Aalto University, FITech
5 By Aalto University (ECTS)
Free of charge
Target group and prerequisites
Basic programming skills & basics in Linux.
This course provides a theoretical and practical basis for computer networking. Besides basic networking principles, the course provides case studies of network protocols at each layer of the OSI model. Examples include HTTP and TCP/IP for data center networking, Bluetooth and Bluetooth Low Energy for short-distance device-to-device communication, and symmetric and asymmetric encryption protocols and VPN for secure communications.
At the end of this course, you will be able to
- describe the basic principles of TCP/IP model and the representative protocols at each layer.
- use network diagnostic tools to analyse the working mechanisms and performance of networking services.
- implement basic communications services using socket programming.
- understand basic principles of network security: public/private key encryption, signatures, hashing, message authentication, email security (PGP), securing of TCP (SSL), IPSec and VPN.
- be aware of the challenges to be solved by future networking technology.
Lecture material (online)
Lectures on Mondays and Tuesdays at 12–14
Application deadline: 3.1.2022